Hotel Kendler’s history began around 250 years ago - when today’s hotel was a little farmhouse.
In remote Saalbach, farming offered financial security and the assurance of being able to put food on the table, even in bad times. Winter sport arrived much later in the region, and with it tourism. So in keeping with the times, Kendler Farm was turned into a small guesthouse in the 1920s, with room to accommodate ten to twelve guests.
The snow-sure location and natural advantages of the region first brought tourism and then progress to the area. An electricity plant was attached to the hotel in 1935. This supplied the house and surrounding area with energy derived from the watercourse near Spielgraben. Even back then, the power plant generated no less than nine to twelve kilowatts of energy for the region!
After the Second World War, the region experienced a major economic upswing thanks to focussed developments in regional tourism. The first draglift was installed on Mount Schattberg in 1945 - created out of materials left over from the war, pieces of wood and iron.
The Kendler family owned the 800-metre long lift, and later sold it to the cable car company. Today, over 50 lifts and mountain cable car services provide guests with comfortable transport to the slopes.
In 1948, the business officially became Pension Kendler. The power station was demolished to make room for more guests. In 1955, the hotel capacity was expanded to accommodate 60 beds and high standards of hotel comfort for the time were already offered.
Several refurbishments took place throughout the house during the 60's and 70’s, including gutting the entire building up to the second floor in 1979, adding five new floors and the construction of the restaurant annexe.
The wellness area with pool and sauna facilities, as well as a winter garden were added in 1993, followed by the popular "Herzlstubn" gourmet restaurant in 1997. In 2002 and 2008, new rooms were added and existing ones upgraded.
In 2013, the team house with 32 rooms for the employees was built right next to the hotel, as well as an underground car park. The hotel facade was given a facelift, some rooms were refurbished and the wellness area was extended to include relaxation rooms, a yoga room and panorama sauna. In 2015, the gym, sauna area and house bar underwent renovations and the “Why Not” night club redesigned and extended.
During major hotel renovations in autumn 2017, 29 of the suites and single rooms were completely renovated, furnished with new extras and a fresh design - without sacrificing any of its traditional and comfortable ambience.
A second hotel lift provides even more comfort, the restaurant area was expanded and refurbished, the "Herzlstubn" restaurant was relocated to the front of the hotel and completely renovated. A new ski store with a designated and secure locker for each room has been available to guests ever since.
Christine Enn worked from an early age with her parents Anna and Fritz Breitfuß at Pension Kendler, which was founded in 1948. She took the business over in 1988 and was joined by her son, Hans, in 2004. After running the business together for four years, Hans assumed overall responsibility for the hotel in 2017.
In Fall 2018 we built a new outdoor whirlpool on our sundeck (6mx3,5m) with sitting and lying spots and wounderful panoramic view over the mountains of Saalbach. The whirlpool will be open from December 2018.
"It's fascinating to look back over the longstanding tradition of our hotel and see how much change has taken place over the centuries, change that has made it possible for us to offer four-star superior service with all the associated amenities and comforts today."